Mesothelioma Cancer Symptoms | Causes | Treatment | Facts
Mesothelioma cancer which is known as “Malignant Mesothelioma” is actually a type of cancer which occurs in the thin layer of tissue which covers the most of our internal organs and that tissue is known as “Mesothelium”.Mesothelioma is an extremely dangerous and deadly type of cancer. In most of the cases, Mesothelioma can be treated/cured but in some rare cases treatment is impossible.
Mesothelioma Cancer Symptoms:
The Most common symptoms of mesothelioma are, Problem in breathing, Abnormal pain in chest, Abdominal Pain.
Whereas some of other symptoms of Mesothelioma may be one or combination of the following:
1. Coughing (Dry).
2. Breathing problem.
3. Pain while breathing.
4. Respiratory Problems.
5. Chest or Abdominal pain.
6. Night Sweats.
8. Excessive Fatigue.
9. Frequent muscle pulls or weakness in
Causes of Mesothelioma:
Generally, cancer starts to develop within a cell when a series of genetic mutations occur in it, resulting into excessive and uncontrolled growth of the particular cell. There are various causes which are responsible for developing of cancer, like environment, lifestyle choices , health conditions etc etc.
Asbestos exposure: ( Primary Risk Factor)
The asbestos is a type of special mineral which is found in the natural environment. Asbestos fibers are generally strong and are resistant to heat, which makes them useful in a large variety of applications, like in insulation, brakes , flooring and many various varieties of different products.
When asbestos broke down, like during the mining process or while removing asbestos insulation, a special quality of dust is produced/formed and if this dust is inhaled or swallowed accidentally, the asbestos fibers will settle down inside the lungs or inside the stomach by forming various layers, where they further become a cause of mesothelioma. Ideally it may take about 20 to 40 years or more than that for mesothelioma to develop after the complete exposure of asbestos.
Factors, which causes increase in the risk of mesothelioma cancer are:
- Personal history of asbestos exposure. Accidently If you have been ever directly exposed to asbestos fibers, the risk of occuring mesothelioma is increased to a great extent.
- Living with someone who works with asbestos. The People who are direclty exposed to asbestos may be carrying the fibers to the home on their skin, clothes or may be in any other different form, may put the others present at the home in the risk of being infected with mesothelioma Cancer.
- Family history of mesothelioma. If both or anyone of your parents, Grandparents, siblings or child has been suffering from mesothelioma, there is a greatly increased risk of being transferring the mesothelioma to you also.
Treatment helps the mesothelioma infected patients to live longer by curing the Mesothelioma. A treatment approach called multimodal therapy can help certain patients to get cured from Mesothelioma cancer.Multimodal therapy includes killing the cancer cells in various different ways. Generally multimodal therapy is considered as the best treatment for mesothelioma by most of the specialists.
Patients who are diagnosed in an early stage more oftenly qualify for a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Multimodal therapy for late-stage patients may involve chemotherapy and immunotherapy.
Most common treatment options available for mesothelioma includes:
- Radiation therapy
Different types of Mesothelioma requires different type of specialized treatment. Various surgeries and chemotherapy drugs are available for using in malignant mesothelioma treatment.
Expected life for Mesothelioma patient without treatment is around four to six months for the average patient diagnosed in stage 3 or stage 4. Getting treatment at these stages more oftenly helps the patients live at least a year.
Those patients who are diagnosed in stage 1 or stage 2 and undergo with treatment may live for many years with mesothelioma.
Facts about Mesothelioma:
- Symptoms of mesothelioma typically don’t appear until 20 to 40 years after being exposed to asbestos.
- Men are 4 times more likely to be diagnosed from Mesothelioma as compared to women.
- Diagnosing of mesothelioma under the age of 45 is a very rare case.
- The most common range for a mesothelioma diagnosis is 50 to 70 years old.
- Around 20% of mesothelioma cases are peritoneal. In the United States, there are about 250 new cases of this type of mesothelioma every year.
- According to a survey , from 1999 to 2015, there have been 45,221 deaths due to mesothelioma.
- Approximately around 125 million people have been exposed to asbestos at their workplace.
- Mining for asbestos in the United States officially ended in the year 2002.
- Approximately 107,000 people worldwide die due to asbestos-related diseases every year.
- Asbestos are the cause behind the death of around 12K to 15K people per year in the United States.
- Asbestos can be found in insulation, roofing shingles, and many other automobile products, such as brake pads etc.
- In the year 2016, asbestos was picked among the first 10 chemicals to be reviewed by the revised Toxic Substances Control Act.
Post by:- Aftab Wani